Nov 8, 2011

Embroidery Basics


This will build up to something cool. I just haven't decided what that is yet. maybe this:

Just Kidding.... Baby Steps, people. Baby steps...

what you'll need: for any embroidery you will need an embroidery hoop, fabric, hand sewing needles with medium to large eye, embroidery floss, and scissors
cost: not too much and everything but the thread is re-usable!
difficulty level: practice makes perfect... it's not hard, but it takes time

first thing you need to know is about the embroidery thread itself. You don't want to use too long of a thread (1/2 yard is even a little long and you don't want to tangle up and waste thread) and you rarely use all 6 threads. This depends on how thick your stitch needs to be. Most of the time you will be using 2-3 threads.

SO-Cut your desired length and untwist it so you can easily pull 3 threads out-at the same time, not individually.


Second thing you need to know is that you don't double the thread up and tie a knot at the end like you do when you hand sew a button or a hem. Thread the needle and pull through about 6" or so and leave the end untied


Instead of tying a knot at the back you will leave about an 1"- 1 1/2" tail that you will stitch over and secure as you embroider. Don't ask me why. It's just how I was taught.

First stitch I'm demonstrating is the back stitch. Kayleigh used this one for her "thark you" card. It's basic and great for basic lines.

Take one stitch, then push the needle through to the top again the same length as the first stitch you took.

Now comes the back stitch part... push the needle back through to the bottom right above the first stitch you took. this fills in the space.


Repeat...


Next stitch is a Stem Stitch. Very similar to the back stitch this works well for straight or curved lines and is most commonly used for.... (drum roll please)..... flower stems. Also works well for words and names and things with letters :)

Take one stitch, then push needle up to the top side of hoop at the center of your first stitch to one side... I like the left side...


repeat :).....


Now, this is already a long post, and there are many many more stitches to show you... so you'll have to check back. Sneak preview, because I know you are on the edge of your couch, I will show you a split stitch, chain stitch, french knot, satin stitch, blanket stitch, suture stitch (just making sure you're paying attention... I will not be showing you that)... and many more. 

Note: I am aware that I am a giant nerd and I love embroidery. I do. It's pretty. I hope you like it as much as me and try some fun things


No comments: