Jan 4, 2012

I made a light box! And so can you.

   
One of my goals for 2012 is to re-do my Etsy shop since it's been open for a year now (yay me! Check it out:: www.etsy.com/shop/wearesocrafty )
    The first step was getting new photos of my products in there, so, with the help of my friend Jana (our previous featured seller: Jana's Post ), I created a mini photo studio!

                                                



You can buy something similar from Amazon and Ebay, but it'll cost you around $50! Um... no thanks. I made this one for $17. You can do it for less if you already have the stuff!

You need:
*This WikiHow link with great directions (except use white cotton fabric, NOT tissue paper!):: Wiki How Light Box
*A sturdy cardboard box (mine is 18x16 from the container store)
*Box cutter ($2 at home depot--- WORTH IT)
*White cotton fabric (I used $3 "pillow covers" from Target. Jana used a $5 fitted sheet from Walmart. You can also use whatever you have, as long as its white.
*White poster board
*Light source-- a desk lamp works well. Mine was $6 at Target.
*Camera with tripod

>>Follow the Instructions from WikiHow, then test out your new, fancy light box.<<

       Here are 2 of my trial photos:


  That's my mom's ring from Carolyn Pollack, where she works.

My mood ring!


**Camera Settings that worked best for me with the light box**
F. 7.1
Shutter Speed: 25 (use the tripod)
ISO: 800
White Balance: Incandescent +2


These photos, and the ones in my shop, only needed to be cropped! It's amazing what the right light and right settings can do for your photos.


No comments: