Sep 11, 2011

Glitter Letters: Take One

Ok, I want to preface this post with my inspiration for this craft. I think it's important for you to understand my motives...

I saw these awesome glitter letters on the Anthropologie wedding site BHLDN. BUT, I didn't want to spend $34 on them when I thought "I can totally do that!"


What follows is the process of glitter lettering. This is not quite a craft fail, but it's also not a huge success. This is part one. Part two (Hopefully the better part) will follow soon with a few corrections. Feel free to try it the way I first did, but stay posted for a more clean looking result. This one has glitter that's a little thick in some areas and thin in others.

Disclaimer: By the time you finish this glitter craft you will be covered in glitter. Your house will be covered in glitter. Your pets will be covered in glitter.

difficulty level: not hard
cost: about $10

what you'll need:
Glitter Glue, Glitter, X-acto Knife, Foam Core Board, Lacquer Spray.

step one:
Trace your desired letter onto the foam core board. You can print one out from word or you can do it the way I did (probably the hard way) and draw one yourself using a see-through ruler!

step two:
Cut out your letter using the X-acto knife. Cut it out on a cardboard surface or something you don't care about or you'll scratch your table all up.



step three:
This is a good time to cut out holes to thread your ribbon through if you plan on hanging it.

step four:
The Messy Part!!! I tried to keep it neat by lining a baking tray with news paper and then putting the letter inside... contain the glitter. Then spread glitter glue all over the letter as evenly as possible.

step five:
Sprinkle glitter all over the letter. Layer it up so that it's well coated. Let it dry and then shake off the excess glitter. There will be areas that didn't get covered, so patch those up with more glue and glitter.
Repeat for the back side (again making sure the front is super dry). Next, you glue and glitter the sides of the foam core. 



step six:
To keep all that glitter from falling off everywhere I sprayed it with the left over clear lacquer spray I had left from the coasters.

Then pat yourself on the back and start vacuuming up all that glitter!

No comments: