Sep 13, 2011

Kayleigh vs the Yarn Wrapped Wreath

I've seen some really awesome yarn-wrapped wreaths all over the internet, so I thought I'd try it out. Turns out, it's ridiculously easy, and you have tons of options! I made a super simple, gray yarn wreath so that I could add pretty much anything to it (here I attached a vintage brooch). Let me show you how...
Difficulty level: super easy
Cost: $10 or less

You Need:
- a styrofoam wreath (mine is 9" diameter because I'm cheap and lazy)
-yarn of any color (I used left-over yarn from another project)
-scissors
-hot glue gun
-a ruler
-something to add on (brooch, fabric flowers, small wooden letters, etc)

Step One: Making the hanger
Cut three 12 inch pieces of yarn to braid together. Braid them, and tie off the ends.

Next, make a loop with your braid, and hot glue it to the back of your wreath like so...

Step Two: Start wrapping!!

Take the end of your ball of yarn and hot glue it on the back, near the hanging loop...






Then start wrapping it around the wreath, adding hot glue here and there to make sure it stays tight. Is there anything worse than loose yarn? Well... yeah, but not here!









Keep on wrapping.....




If it looks like that, you're half way there! Don't give up!
When you reach the end, add some more glue (making sure you end on the back), and cut off the excess yarn.


Last Step:
Add your decoration, and hang it up. I added a vintage brooch that I got for 50 cents. Again, I'm cheap and lazy, so there's that.


These wreaths are super versatile. You can make them in different holiday colors, your favorite sports team colors (not my thing, but whatever), you can add whatever you like. I've seen some with flowers, leaves, letters, tiny stuffed animals; pretty much if you can hot glue it, you can add it.

I was victorious with this craft, but be warned... it takes FOREVER (although not as long as the yarn covered letters--coming soon) 
>>>Buy it pre-wrapped from our Etsy Shop if you don't want to wrap it, beause, let's be honest, who loves spending 2 hours wrapping yarn?


No comments: